Monday, March 5, 2012

Falafel Friday!



Friday was Falafel Friday!  My husband really wanted me to make falafels (again) and I wanted to experiment a little by making them from scratch.  In the past I have made them from a box, but that limits us to just hubby and I eating them, since most mixes are processed in a plant that may have cross-contamination with nuts -- and then our daughter cannot eat them.

So, I found out how incredibly easy it is to make falafels from scratch.  Husband now says that I made a big mistake, because now he wants me to make them all the time!

First you rinse and drain a can of chick peas.  Then you mix them with parsley, onions, salt/pepper, cumin, garlic and a little lemon juice, about 2 tablespoons of flour (whole wheat flour in our house - of course!)  Mash all that goodness together.

Roll into balls. 

then fry them for 5 to 7 minutes (you can also bake them, but I have a good deep fryer, so I used that.)




I also made homemade hummus (which in my head I call it "yhummus!" because it is so good), and tzatziki sauce (cucumbers diced up with my homemade yogurt, lemon juice, dill weed and garlic) -- served it all on whole wheat flatbread with lettuce, tomato and hot sauce. 

I'm glad I have pictures to prove that I made this -- it was all gone in about 30 minutes!



1 comment: