Thursday, August 2, 2012

Catering 101

The office I work at has monthly unit lunch meetings.  Sometimes it is a "pay $5 - get pizza", sometimes a theme, like this month's "Pre-Season Kick Off featuring chicken wangs."  The wings are being provided, but there is a sign up sheet for sides, beverages and desserts.  I decided to make Antipasto Kebabs as a side and Lemon Blueberry cookies for dessert.


The kebabs idea came from a Pinterest post that I saw.  Great idea and the combinations are limitless if you use your imagination.  I used black and green olives, quartered artichoke hearts, grape tomatoes, pepperoni/provolone on some, salami/fresh mozzarella on others, pepperoncini, and tri-colored cheese tortellini.  I made a vinaigrette with basil and parmesan cheese and sprinkled that over.  Looks fabulous!


The cookie idea came to me in the store.  I saw a box of lemon cake mix and thought "how refreshing - lemon cake mix" then a light went on: what if I made my famous cake mix cookies (usually made with yellow cake mix and chocolate chips) but I used lemon cake mix and dried blueberries?


I do say, that was a brilliant idea on my part.  They are soft, moist, just the right tart/sweet taste.  Great summertime cookie and super easy to make. All it takes is 1 box of cake mix, 2 eggs, 2 tsp water, 1/4 cup oil and then your add in...could be chips, raisins (mmm, spice cake mix with raisins), dried cranberries, dried blueberries, sprinkles....roll into balls the size of walnuts, bake on ungreased cookie sheet for 10-12 minutes at 350 degrees.


What is your favorite food to take to pot lucks or parties?

1 comment:

  1. I like to take a brie dish to most parties. I melt the cheese with a Dijon mustard and brown sugar mixture and add sliced almonds. Then melt it in the oven. I serve it with sliced bagette. The bagette I toast with a little bit of olive oil. It's delicious!!

    ReplyDelete